JUNIOR FACULTY/DOCTORAL STUDENTS CONSORTIUM AFAM 2023 Biennial
Conference Co-Chairs: Amanuel Tekleab and Hermann Ndofor
Are you a doctoral student? Are you a junior faculty (completed your PhD recently) and who is starting (has started) your academic career? If so, consider attending the junior faculty/Doctoral Students consortium. We are planning an exciting session that covers a variety of topics relevant to academia within the African context. We are currently taking applications for the 2023 Africa Academy of Management (AFAM) Doctoral Students and Junior Faculty Consortium to be held at the AFAM annual meeting in Cairo, Egypt, on January 7th, 2023.
This workshop is geared toward junior faculty and doctoral students with the intent of helping participants to navigate the collection of issues (career, research, teaching, practice) that begin to emerge in the junior faculty and doctoral student stages. At these stages, it is important for students and faculty to begin to engage in research that shows the contribution of Africa to the global management community.
The theme of the Consortium is Developing High Impact Scholarship from Africa. So, the discussion and experiential sessions will be oriented toward guiding participants to develop conceptual and empirical work that enriches the global management field by addressing interesting questions from the African context. Participants will also attend a PDW on the last day of the regular conference.
1). Junior Faculty: The Junior Faculty Session will focus on career advancement and publication in top tier journals like Africa Journal of Management, Academy of Management Journal (AMJ), Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management Discoveries, and Journal of Applied Psychology.
2). Doctoral students: The session will focus on issues related to completion of the doctoral program. Through panel and roundtable discussions led by leading prominent global scholars with interest and expertise in Africa, participants will reflect on the process and lessons of research, teaching, and life in academia and Africa specifically. Moreover, it will also focus on publications in top tier journals like Africa Journal of Management, Academy of Management Journal (AMJ), Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management Discoveries, and Journal of Applied Psychology.
There is no charge for the Consortium; however, accepted participants must register for and participate in the regular AFAM conference. Applicants will go through a selection process set out by AFAM. Moreover, participants should cover the cost of travel to and accommodation in Egypt.
Highlights of this year's Consortium include:
- A session with Editors of top Management Journals,
- A research feedback session with leading scholars,
- A variety of panels and discussions on publishing in high quality journals, effective teaching, and managing an academic career,
- Networking with leading faculty and fellow faculty/doctoral students,
- Career development and career choices, and
- An informal after-session social on January 7th.
To apply for either Session of the Consortium, please email the following materials to Prof. Hermann Ndofor no later than September 15th, 2022 at firstname.lastname@example.org. Clearly indicate the session you are applying to attend in the subject heading as follows:
Junior Faculty: Application for AFAM 2023 Junior Faculty Consortium.
Doctoral Students: Application for AFAM 2023 Doctoral Student Consortium.
1) A current CV (up to two pages) including at least contact information, education, research/teaching interests, and publications. This will be distributed to all participants of the consortium.
2) A nomination letter endorsed and signed by either Dean of School or Department chair (optional).
3) A description of candidate that specifies: a) the nominee's name, address, and email address; b) school/department and university; c) year doctoral degree earned; d) a general appraisal of the nominee; and e) area of research (and teaching) interest.
1) A current student CV (up to two pages) including at least contact information, education, research/teaching interests, and publications. This will be distributed to all participants of the consortium.
2) A nomination letter endorsed and signed by: a) advisor of candidate, and/or b) either Dean of School or Department chair.
3) A description of candidate that specifies: a) the nominee's name, address, and email address; b) school/department and university; c) year in program; d) a general appraisal of the nominee; and e) an assessment of the nominee's progress toward his/her dissertation, expected defense date, and dissertation subject.
Please note: Space is limited. So, drop-in attendance at the Consortium will NOT be allowed.
Application Deadline: September 15th, 2022
Notification of Acceptance: October 1st, 2022 Consortium/conference
Registration Deadline: November 1, 2022
If you have questions, you may contact any of the following Program Committee members:
- Amanuel G. Tekleab of Wayne State University, Michigan (WSU),
- Hermann A. Ndofor of Indiana University Indiana,
AFAM Website: https://www.africaacademyofmanagement.org
Conference Website: https://www.africaacademyofmanagement.org/afam-6th-biennial-conference-c...
· WE HOPE YOU JOIN US FOR THESE EDUCATIONAL AND FUN EXPERIENCES FOR JUNIOR FACULTY AND DOCTORAL STUDENTS!